
Welcome to my first soundtrack review. This weekend the new mrs. JiLL and I went to see Sofia Coppola’s
Marie Antoinette. I have read a couple reviews from people who have seen this movie and many are ticked off by the fact that Coppola uses contemporary music for a time-period film, comparing it to Baz Luhrmann’s modern-day take on
Romeo and Juliet. A poor comparison. In fact, one of the film’s redeeming qualities is Coppola’s soundtrack, which uses many upbeat 80s tunes from artists like The Cure, Bow Wow Wow, and New Order, to capture what many perceived as extreme indulgence and excessiveness of the young Queen of France. After all, for an eighteen year old Queen who loves to gamble, eat, drink, and party, what better music to act as a backdrop to the film? Check out The Strokes’ “What Ever Happened,” New Order’s “Age of Consent,” and Radio Dept.’s “Pulling our Weight” from Disc 1 and listen to artists on Disc 2 like Aphex Twin, Air, and Dustin O'Halloran’s “Opus 23” for a cool down.
1 Comments:
Yes, Becky, I couldn't agree more. While I *do* like Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet, Coppola steps it up a notch by keeping the visual aesthetic 'of the time' period. The juxtaposition of old with new is very effective and fun to watch!
Post a Comment
<< Home